Wednesday, February 9, 2011

My Philosophy on Marriage, Part 2 and a challenge

Here's the main thing that I believe strongly about marriage: it goes both ways. The way you treat your spouse affects the way they treat you. If you want to be treated differently, then you need to make a change in your behavior. Little changes in your behavior can have a big impact on your relationship. The problem I see over and over in unhappy marriages is that one person blames all the problems on the other person. Then they feel powerless to change their marriage, because they believe all of the problems with the relationship are because of the other person. What everyone needs to realize is, you have the power to make a profound change for good in your spouse and in your relationship. When you stop blaming and break out of the negative cycle, you can lift your spouse and your relationship to a higher level. I know this is a little bit oversimplified, and there are lots of different situations that may not seem to fit exactly into this philosophy, but even in the most complex and difficult situations, there is truth in this concept that can make a difference. What if, for a week, (then a month), you try a little experiment? Even the happiest of marriages have some room for improvement, so everyone can try this.
For one week...
Do not criticize your spouse at all.
Tell them you love them every day.
Praise them or thank them for something every day.
AND
Perform an act of service for them every day.
Just four things to remember, but I think it'll make a difference. Take the challenge, try it out for one week. Let me know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. I will take the challenge. It sounds easy enough and I do believe it will add more to my marriage. Thanks Cherene. Colleen

    ReplyDelete