Sunday, February 2, 2014

On Knowing Love

On Knowing Love
By Cherene Watkin

When I first fell in love with you, we were so young.
Thrilling, tumbling, falling into love
Sleep was a burden--time away from you
And I knew I loved you.

Then trials hit hard, testing our commitment.
That new love gone, replaced with something more real.
At the end of the day still united, I knew we could make it through anything together.
And I knew I loved you.

Then a new little life we created together
Stole my time and attention, but my heart grew
Enough love to share, now a family.
And I knew I loved you.

More trials and I wondered if it was all worth it.
I cried and wondered how our love would survive.
But I said I would love you forever, so I held on
And I loved when I didn't think I could.

More children, each precious and binding
Gluing our family together, expanding our love.
Busy, chaos, patience, frustration.
And most of the time I loved you.

Years passed as the children grew, I grew up too.
New realizations of how much you mean to me.
I see you through new eyes and fall in love again
And I know that I love you.  

You are my rock, my best friend, my greatest asset.
Sometimes I glimpse you through His eyes.
My heart aches with a fullness of adoration.
And I know that I'll love you forever.



1 comment: