Thursday, June 23, 2011

Disclaimer

I enjoy posting on this blog.  I really want everyone to be able to find happiness in their marriage.  But every time I post, I worry about what everyone reading will think.  Will they think I'm being judgmental?  Will they think I think I'm better than others?  Will they think I don't know what I'm talking about?  And I'm sure at times people reading this have thought all of those things.  So I just want to say that I feel strongly that marriage can be happy.  But I am no marriage expert.  I've been married 16 years, and I am in school getting my masters in counseling, hoping to one day be a marriage counselor, but that's about all the expertise I possess.  I confessed to my friend, Tamara, today that I had a disagreement with my husband last week, and I did not use any of the advice that I give others.  I did not use "I" statements.  I did not communicate clearly and respectfully.  I did not handle the situation very well.  She said that I don't have to have a perfect marriage in order to give others advice and support in their marriages, and I hope all of you readers feel the same way.  It is NEVER my intent to judge, or to make anyone feel bad with my posts.  I sincerely hope that you are never offended by my ramblings and my offerings.  Just know that I write what I write as much for my own benefit as for anyone else's.  And when I offer a challenge, I try to take it seriously and take on that challenge myself.  And sometimes I don't do so hot.  But I try...we all try.  We're all doing the best we can.  I hope I can be some source of support, comfort, or help to someone out there.   And I welcome your feedback.  Even if it is to tell me that I'm way off base, or that you totally disagree with what I'm saying.  Anyway, I just wanted to add my disclaimer that I am not an expert, and I know that I am not any better than anyone else at being married, or giving marriage advice.  So there.  I said it.  Now you know it.  Thanks for reading, and keep on working at making your marriage merry!  :)

2 comments:

  1. I think that is what I love most about you, is that you are a real person that I can believe. I have the same fear about writing my parenting book. Who is going to listen to me? I have no degree. Go forth and say what you have to say because there are plenty of us who are listening. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with johnstonteammom. I have never felt you are being judgemental or holier-than-thou. that is one of the things I love about you most is your "real-ness" and honesty in the way you present yourself.

    ReplyDelete